(Massively updated) ‘Lumia Amber’ now officially available OTA for Lumia 920 devices in India ! Cheers !
The post is now massively updated – Do check !
The much awaited Lumia Amber was to hit Indian shores today late evening as per our last post & it has happened so. The ‘Amber’ update has hit Lumia 920 devices in India today. The update is yet to show up for other Lumia’s as of now.
I will be updating the post as & when the info breaks for other Lumia’s.
Update 1 – One more screenshot of several updates getting installed .. added !
Update 2 – In India, the GDR2 update from Microsoft & Amber update from Nokia are rolling out separately. You would get the GDR2 update first followed with Amber from Nokia as a separate update. Screenshot added.
Update 3 – The Amber shows as Nokia Update for Windows Phone before installing. Screenshot added.
Update 4 – Amber installation complete. Point to note – Phone will restart in 10 secs to further complete the installation.
Update 5 – On installation, ‘Lumia Amber’ would appear under ‘extras+info’. Screenshot added.
Update 6 – A tour of the features added under Amber update via Screenshots.
Update 7 – Feature list from both Nokia & Microsoft added. And that’s the end of this post.
For now you get a teaser from my side
Downloading Amber Update (Separate update)
Installing Nokia Update (Amber)
Amber installed !
Lumia Amber under ‘extras+info’
A detailed look at the features that made its way via the Amber Update
- Data Sense – Track usage of your data & limit it !
- call+SMS filter under ‘settings’ section – Block calls & messages from unwanted numbers !
- FM Radio does a comeback – Find it under ‘music+videos’
- Flip to silence – Located under ‘settings – Audio’. Yes now just flip your Lumia’s to silent them :).
- Nokia Pro Cam (available as download from Store after Amber update under Nokia Collection) – A beast of a camera app that lets you play around with the camera settings like never before. A must have App.
- Choose what your Camera button does – Ability to customize what happens when you press the Camera button. I have replaced the built-in camera app with Nokia Pro Cam. What you going to do ?
- Lumia colour profile – Available under ‘settings – display+touch’ .. allows you to change the color profile of your screen by making it either punchy or neutral or the way you want it to be.
- Nokia Glance Screen (or call it Always on clock) – Located under ‘settings – display+touch’. The most requested feature from Symbian/Meego is now on Lumia. Displays clock, battery related indications & profile status (if silent) .. when your phone is locked. And it’s customizable too !
- Double tap to awake – Located under ‘settings – display+touch’. Another popular feature from Meego comes to Lumia. Double tap the screen to wake up your device … pretty cool – Don’t forget to show it to your Android & iOS friends and yeah make them feel jealous :).
- find nearby WiFi – Located under ‘settings – WiFi’. Allows you to locate nearby WiFi connection on Maps. Pretty cool – Ain’t it ?
- More keyboards – I am seeing ‘Hindi (Devanagari)’ for the first time at my end which means more keyboard options have got added. Check out at your end.
- IBM Notes Traveler – Support for IBM Notes Traveler under ‘email+accounts’ section. Add yours if you have one.
- 4 New Apps have hit the Nokia Collection – Nokia Pro Cam, Nokia Smart Cam, Nokia Video Trimmer & Nokia Video Upload. They all are must haves.
Other than the above things, you will also find below improvements
- Improved image processing with significantly improved software algorithms that offer better noise reduction, colour reproduction, exposure control & auto-focus to all the Lumia’s.
- Nokia Smart Cam – Get features like Best shot, Action shot, Motion focus, Ideal group shots with Change Faces & remove unwanted Objects.
- Nokia Pro Cam – Shoot like a Pro with access to a host of settings to control & create your pics. Available only for PureView phones namely Lumia 920, 925 & 928. Already available for Lumia 1020.
- Faster Map Updates – No need to download the whole maps now. Download only those new roads or POI’s or other new map features that have got updated for your Maps.
- Google accounts. Windows Phone 8 now supports the CardDAV and CalDAV protocols that allow people to sync Google contacts and calendar information when they get new phones. (Existing phones that are synced to a Google account prior to December 31, 2013 will continue to sync as before.)
- Xbox Music. It’s now easier to select, download, and pin music. Plus, music fans will see more accurate metadata (such as song and album information) and many other performance improvements.
- FM radio. Listen to FM radio right from the Music+Videos hub. (Not available for all phones.)
- Data Sense. Stay on top of your phone’s data usage with Data Sense. You can set a limit based on your data plan, or just keep track of which apps use the most data. (Not all mobile operators offer Data Sense.)
- Skype. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) apps like Lync and Skype now feature improved stability and performance.
- Internet Explorer. Several fixes, including improvements to media playback reliability, will make your web browsing experience better than ever.
- Camera. Set your favorite Lens so it opens automatically when you press the camera button. (Not available for all phones.)
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.