(Update) Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview will go live this April 10th (Thursday)
Update The info around now points at 14th April as the new release date (which of course can change too). Microsoft at the Build event did make it official that the update would go live to Developers in first part of April so 14th April sounds quite credible.
We have heard about so many dates for WP8.1 Developer Preview release and why not, speculations were bound to happen considering that it is one heck of an update and has turned everyone excited.
It started with rumors of release at Build Conference (2-4 Apr) then reports came stating that it is delayed by a couple of weeks then again rumors came that it would release at the Build Conference itself and now a new information coming via WPC states that the Developer Preview for Windows Phone 8.1 would go live this Apr 10th.
Well lets hope this info turns out to be correct.
For those who dont know how to enroll for Developer Preview Program. Heres the process.
Read below on how to bypass OEMs/Carriers and get early access to all those Windows Phone updates directly from Microsoft.
In the month of Oct 13, Windows Phone Developer Preview Program went live .. . meaning the developers can download the latest WP OS update (next is WP 8.1) once on release by Microsoft and can test their apps fully before the original OS update goes live (from OEMs/Carriers).
Below are some steps you have to follow to make your device developer preview ready. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that if you enroll for developer preview program & if by any chance anything goes wrong during/after the update – you are solely responsible for it as your devices Warranty will be void. Keep in mind !
How a normal user can get the update
- Register as ‘Windows Phone App Studio developer’ for free .. click here (here click on Start New Project, Enter your Microsoft sign-in details, next you will have to agree to certain things do that and you are good to go !)
- Next download the app ‘Preview for Developers’ from Windows Phone Store .. click here
- You will be required to accept additional terms & conditions within the app prior to opt-in.
- The key features of ‘Preview for Developers’ app are 1) Access to latest pre-release Windows Phone updates and 2) Ability to opt-out of pre-releases and only receive production Windows Phone updates
- Once you are done with the above, go ahead to Settings & press Check for updates. You will find the update waiting there for you (if its available) !