The all new Lumia Camera update
Yesterdays Berlin event from Microsoft was not just restricted to launch of new Lumia devices and accessories but indeed as you would expect from any Nokia (now Microsoft) event, it was also about the new imaging innovations.
Lumia 830 was in focus courtesy its 10MP PureView branded rear camera and Lumia 730 earned the attention for its 5MP HD front facing camera.
That was not all as Microsoft also unveiled the upcoming Nokia Camera update called Lumia Camera.
Heres what Lumia Camera is and what its going to bring,
- Lumia Camera will replace Nokia Camera on devices viz. Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520 and Lumia 830 with Lumia Denim Update, which is confirmed to roll-out in Q4 for all Lumia Windows Phone 8.1 devices.
- Lumia Camera update will bring the much appreciated 4K video recording to Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520. Lumia 830 will however shoot in Full HD.
- Introduced alongside 4K video capturing is the Moment Capture feature. Moment Capture feature is activated by long-pressing the hardware camera button which starts shooting the subject in 4K quality at 24 frames per second (fps). Each frame here is a high quality 8.3 MP shot which can be saved as an individual picture. This way you can make, the otherwise impossible shots possible and look beautiful at the same time. Lumia 830 shoots Moment Capture in Full HD and the frame size is 2MP unlike the above for Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520.
- Another innovative introduction is the Rich Capture feature which brings Auto HDR and Dynamic Flash. While HDR is easily understandable and known, the new Dynamic Flash setting gives you the ability to select the flash impact once after the pic has been taken. So basically you can control the impact of flash on your pic from No flash to Full flash with the help of a slider. Heres how Microsoft puts it,
Rich Capture guarantees better image quality by adapting to any scene and capturing and merging multiple images together simultaneously, and applying auto HDR with dynamic exposure steps and flash settings – to provide the perfect shot with more details than ever before.
The new Dynamic Flash setting captures images automatically with and without flash, and lets you decide how to remember the scene by choosing the amount of flash used in the shot, after it has been taken. You can have less flash for really warm photos, or apply more flash to make the details even sharper.
- Lumia Camera will also improve the shooting speeds drastically i.e. time taken from Pocket to Capture and Shot to Shot speeds.
- Last but not the least, Lumia Camera will also bring the next generation of image processing algorithms delivering even more Sharper pictures with details both day and night.
Thats one punchier update from Nokia. The only downside to it is that its restricted to the newer generation Lumia devices which does not include Lumia 730. The benefiting devices will be Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520 and Lumia 83o.