It was the much needed update that Windows Phone users were waiting for long back. However the update did not met everyone’s demand or requirements.
History – The biggest problem so far with Whatsapp had been that it was using the music player API to stay alive in the background & this was also leading to unreliable notifications for many. Also it was slow & had many features missing.
Lets look at what came along in this new update
- Finally Whatsapp has now deployed a proper background agent in line with requirements of WP8 (in case of WP7 devices it still uses the Music API if I am not wrong) resulting in improved reliability & stability.
- Fixes notification issues which many users faced
- Issue of Long messages not appearing completely is now fixed
- Smiley issue is fixed with an all new Emoji section featuring numerous emoticons
- App now features Fast Resume – which means it would open the App where you last left it and not always from the beginning
- You can now call people from inside the App by clicking on their names
- The location sharing features has now improved as in if your friend sends you his location .. at your end it would open up in Bing Maps & you can make use of Nokia Drive to get there.
- The Images shared now appear bigger & better and can be seen right in the conversation itself
- Overall performance of App has improved meaning its fast & resumes quickly
What’s still missing
- You cannot share the existing Music & Video files on your phone (that’s an OS limitation as of now) however you can record one directly from your App & share (There are no limitations on image sharing).
Download the App or the Update from Windows Phone Store below